March 31, 2015
Equinix Expands Rio de Janeiro Data Center
New phase will nearly double the total capacity to meet customer demand for data center colocation
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and RIO de JANEIRO — March 31, 2015 — Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced it is expanding its Rio de Janeiro data center known as RJ2. This new phase of expansion is scheduled to open in Q3 of this year and will enable Equinix to continue to meet strong customer demand for data center and interconnection services in this rapidly growing region.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Equinix invested $24M to open the RJ2 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in September 2013, and will invest an additional $17M in this new phase, increasing capacity by 310 cabinets for a total of 630 cabinets. Located in the northern area of Rio de Janeiro, RJ2 is home to the densest concentration of the country’s largest network carriers and currently more than 1,500 companies are colocated in Equinix’s facilities in São Paulo and Rio de Janiero.
- Companies are also choosing Platform Equinix™ to support their connectivity and interconnection needs across the region. XP Investimentos, Brazil's largest retail brokerage, colocated its IT infrastructure in Equinix data centers in Rio, São Paulo and Tamboré. Decatron, a specialist in projects, supply, implementation, IT management and optimization, has been a customer since it outsourced its IT infrastructure in 2013 when RJ2 initially opened.
- Equinix provides the fastest IP traffic route from the United States to Brazil from its Miami data center, MI3, which serves as a major communications gateway to the commercial centers of Latin America. This offers a number of benefits to customers, including direct connectivity to the leading Latin American network operators for reduced latency, and close proximity for serving Latin American markets while maintaining infrastructure within the U.S. Additonally, Equinix has established relationships with all major subsea cable operators including Level 3, Telefonica, and Seaborn Networks, as well as telecommunications companies serving Brazil, to deliver a seamless stream of global data traffic in and out of the country.
- RJ2 was built to leverage sustainable and green data center initiatives. Water and power consumption and carbon emissions were priority issues for the development of the project. Installed equipment use fewer natural resources and the building has a rainwater harvesting system which has saved at least 70 percent in water consumption and 10 percent in power since doors initially opened.
- This new phased build out of RJ2 is one of many expansions in Equinix’s growing global platform of more than 100 data centers. Earlier this month Equinix announced that it is boosting interconnection capacity by opening new data centers in five major markets including London, Melbourne, New York, Singapore and Toronto.
- Edson Alves, business coordinator, Decatron:
"In addition to complementing our business, Equinix follows a series of global quality standards, which makes us much safer. The company also has a rich ecosystem of partners that allows us to offer Decatron services to other companies within the Equinix data center environment."
- Robert Lee, partner, XP Investimentos:
"In this industry it is common to hear that 'liquidity generates liquidity' and Equinix helps companies achieve greater value by connecting them with other companies within a business ecosystem. This colocation environment drives valuable interconnections and growth while significantly lowering costs and improving application performance."
- Eduardo Carvalho, managing director, Equinix Brazil:
"International demand is increasing since Equinix fully acquired Alog last year. Many companies that are already customers in other regions are looking to move into the Brazil market utilizing our global platform – Platform Equinix. As a result, we are accelerating local investments in order to meet this international and regional demand. We already have 72 customers installed in the 320 cabinets of the first phase. The expansion will nearly double capacity – and we expect to keep up with this accelerated pace."
- Press release: GlobeNet Opens Fastest US – Brazil IP Traffic Route Via Platform Equinix
- Press release: Equinix adds data centers in Brazil
- Press release: Equinix Continues to Progress on Green Data Center Initiatives
- Infographic: What makes RJ2 the best option for your business
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 33 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.